We have been working on multiplication word problems for a while in our class. They are so hard for my students. Soon we will be moving into double and triple digits by a single digit. My students need to have a firm understanding of how these problems work with simpler problems first! To help students “get it” we first spent a week on words problems and then they worked on these word problems books. We still completed the word problem books in small groups for reading support. I have compiled all of these into a multiplication word problems packet.
– 3 differentiated books with single digit by single digit multiplication word problems. Students are required to show answers in pictures, number sentences and an answer sentence.
– Each book contains the same seven problems but the lowest level problems have bolded, italicized clue words and a cloze sentence for the answer. The mid level book does not have bolded, italicized clue words but does have a cloze sentence for the answer. The highest level book does not have bolded, italicized clue words and requires students to independently write the answer in a compete sentence.
– Teacher assessment rubric included for each book
– Nine multiplication word problem to use for modeling in small or whole groups (that are different from the student books)
– Multiplication clue words poster (8 ½ x 11 inches)
This will be sale in my Teachers Pay Teachers store soon for $3.50!
Mandy Gregory is a 2007 and 2012 Teacher of the Year. She has taught 4th, 3rd, and 2nd grade in both the general education and inclusion setting. She is the owner and creator of the Teaching Tips website (www.mandygregory.com) and has over 10 years of experience. She is married with two beautiful children.